Sunday, December 11, 2011

Giving Back - Help Portrait 2011


Joy.  That's what today was all about.  And that's what everyday should be about.  But we lose track of that SO much!

I had the incredible opportunity to work with a project called Help Portrait [www.help-portrait.com], and this is the story I've been left with.  

I went to bed last night not really sure what to think about this whole thing honestly.  We had done a smaller one on campus last year and we had a few families but it didnt really seem like that big of a deal to me.  I knew today was going to be different though.  That's probably why I couldnt sleep and only ended up getting a couple hours in before the big day.  My alarm went off around a quarter to 6, I rolled out of bed -- literally, which is bad considering my bed is lofted.  After muttering some unrepeatable words, and most likely waking my roommate up, I stumbled into the shower, proceeded to get scalded by being unprepared for the hot water, and muttered more unspeakable words.  You know those type of mornings.  I finished getting ready, packed up my editing gear and my camera and stumbled downstairs to meet up with Matthias Roberts, Laura Parker, Tucker Cowie, and Kyle King.  

After a gorgeous drive and quick breakfast through some amazing fog, we arrived at the Bentonville location, not quite knowing what to expect, but with smiles on our faces.  Tucker, Kyle, and I set up our editing stations and Matthias and Laura proceeded to their studio.  Things were about to happen that none of us were ready for.  Our worlds were about to get rocked.

The first families started to arrive and the photographers worked with them, getting some great images.  Unfortunately, my photographer's first family didnt show up, so I had about a 50 minute window to walk around and see people at work.  But that's not what I say.  I saw people loving.  And I saw joy.  I saw little kids slowly warm up to the photographers and by the end of the shoot they were attached at the hip -- they were enamored and in love.  These were families and kids that had NEVER had something like this before...it was an incredible joy to watch.  

Our families started to come in and it was go time.  I got my card from my photographer and got to work on editing the pictures of the families that we had the incredible opportunity to work with.  As I opened up the images I saw so much hope and so much joy.  It was definitely something I was unprepared for.  I  fought through my emotions as I started to edit, as it hit me that we were really giving these people something that they never had the opportunity to have -- and it was beautiful.  

They day went on and then right before lunch I got pictures of an elderly couple -- I didnt know their names, but I didnt need to -- I saw who they really were.  From the second I opened the card and saw the pictures, I was in a completely different world.  Tucker told me later he started chatting with me for a minute and I didnt even notice.  I was completely high on the joy I saw emanating from this couple.  Im not sure if Im even allowed to post this, so it may be gone soon, but this is the couple that changed my life today.  I cant thank them enough, and I dont even know their names.  But they changed my world.  
I finished up their shoot and we all had lunch, and just chatted and got to know each other.  It's SO encouraging to see so many talented people together, in community, sharing with each other and sharing advice and tips about how they work.  It's a crazy competitive world we have to work in, but when we see much love and joy being given freely, it gets rid of those barriers...love tears down walls that wouldnt have been scalable before.  

I had an amazing, life-changing experience today.  I hope that all the families that came through the studios today left with smiles.  I hope that every child that was able to smile for the camera and feel like a million bucks and goes on to change the world.  I hope that every woman that came through today felt like the most beautiful woman in the world.  I hope that every little girl felt like a supermodel, and worked that camera to the max.  I hope every little boy felt like a complete stud in front of those strobes.  I hope that every mother felt like she could show the world how amazing her family was.  I hope that husbands and wives could be themselves and bask in the love they have for each other.  I hope that every father that came through felt proud to stand tall next to his family and lovingly hold them in his arms.  I hope that these pictures continue to bring smiles.  But more than that, I hope we showed love, and I hope that that love continues to radiate in these families lives.  I hope that we changed lives, because I know they changed ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment